Wednesday, May 10, 2006

More Little Birdies

When I move, I will miss the wildlife around my house ...

Yesterday I was on my way out to paint. My husband was in his boat and cleaning it, as it is for sale. As I walked out the door with two rollers and a paint brush, Mr. B yelled, "Get me some gloves quick!" I went back in the house and brought him my cleaning gloves. I thought maybe he was needing them for applying some stuff to the teak, but no...

He was cleaning the cabin out and flung this "hat", he thought, out ~ no hat though ...it was a bird's nest and three little birdies had been flung out. The mother was flying around the perimeter of the boat ~ or some relation to the birdies because the bird was yapping away ~ anyway,

One birdie landed on the floor in a puddle of water, picked him up and put him back in the nest, one landed in the place where the engine is, also in a puddle of water, got him back in...and, of course by now, Madam B is in the middle of this with a towel trying to get the other flopping birdie back in the nest, and he jumps into a puddle of water, too! It was a comedy, but they did manage to get all three of them in.

Now. What to do with the nest! It was a little snaggled at this point. For now it was in a large plastic bucket to protect it from the cats, and tried to position it where the mama bird could see all was well, but we still needed to put it somewhere like in a tree or something, but it was too flimsy.

So Mr. B went into the shed and found a basket. A really nice one. And he got a bungee cord. He hooked the basket with the bungee cord to a very large ligustrum right next to the boat and placed the nest inside.

And good news, as soon as they were dried off, the little birdies flew away! I saw them flying around the back yard yesterday, so I put some bird seed out and also, I put some in the basket up where the nest is. I thought it couldn't hurt.

So man and nature sometimes clash. But hopefully if we keep trying to work together, and show we care, all will be well.

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
An eternity in an hour.
~~ William Blake

No comments: