Sunday, May 07, 2006

Math Assignment

I thought it would be an excellent idea to give Madam B a Math Assignment that might mirror real life skills. So I gave her the problem, last Thursday, of finding out if she could eat on $35.00 a week, as she prefers certain foods, and then a comparison later of what the average meat eater might spend. (Of course, I couldn't use the word 'meat-eater' to her as it does repulse her so.) Figured she could take a week or two to work on it...

I thought this was a clever assignment, and Friday asked to see what she had done. She had nothing to show me. "Why don't you have something for me to see?" I inquired. "Because I have been thinking about it," she replied.

Well, okay. Thinking is good ... (she got me there)

My #2 son, who just completed his first year of college away from home, and has enrolled for the summer semester, budgets his food spending this way:

Budget amount: about $28.00 per week

1. Go to the store at the beginning of the week, and buy food, and spend the entire $28.00 because that's what you have, and forget you are forgetting about toilet paper and paper towels, dish soap, razor blades, hair gel, and toothpaste.
2. Eat the food by Tuesday night most likely, if one is lucky, Wednesday.
3. Scrounge around for what you can find until end of the week, should you run out of stuff, which you most likely will, eat peanut butter off a spoon until you are full, eat 13 pieces of toast for dinner, and that bag of left over chips, the 5 Oreos, and salsa's not so bad with just a slice of cheese, until the next payday.



No comments: