I am thinking I am not a good one to review this movie. I am one of those whom have remained spoiled by the 6 hour A & E version. So, I may judge rather harshly. And those who have read the book may judge more harshly. I've read only chunks of the books, but now, I have to read it all - it's not fair otherwise to be a total critic.
I can tell you that those in the theater - which was full to capacity – seem to absolutely love it. If they didn't, I don't know why everyone was reciting the lines as they left!
Here's the basic story ~
Lizzie (Keira Knightley) Bennet, is one of five sisters from a not so wealthy family (but they have servants) in 18th century Britain (when a woman's only lot in life was to marry *up*), and her pride and prejudices towards Mr. Darcy (Matthew MacFayden), who is without one doubt much more well-to-do, and at least as prejudiced himself, on the idea of Lizzie, as Lizzie is on the idea of him (in other words they are very alike, just on opposite sides of the payroll). But, I will have to say, Mr. Darcy, appeared to be MUCH the snob at the beginning. If he was foolin', he was doing a really good job of it. So I can't help but agree with Lizzie's first impression.
This is the quintessential opposites attract story, with both characters loathing one another at the start, (been done before, I know) only to swoon at each other's feet (could be called the Passion and The Prejudice but that was most likely too steamy a title for Jane) as the story progresses.
For me, much is lost in not hearing all the lines spoken. Nowhere did I hear the book’s most beloved opening sentences -- "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."
Much of the story, as this film presents it, is left in vagueness. It focused on the relationship of Lizzie and Mr. Darcy.
Some critics asked “'do we need another Pride and Prejudice?” You know, it's a great story ... nothing wrong with a great story being done again and again. More great stories need to be told over and over again.
To those that love the depth of great text, this version of Pride and Prejudice may seem like a commercial of the A & E version (One is cheating oneself to not be immersed in the exact writing of Jane Austen. The text is like the best cheesecake dessert!)
They did give it a most decent try. Madam Blueberry gave it a 7 (she's also a fan of the A & E version), and I agree, perhaps a 7.
But my in laws LOVED it - gave it a 10! And so did the audience I viewed it with (I'm pretty sure), which was very mixed in age, but there were many young people in attendance..
But I still think it worth the viewing. Let me know what you think.
I would like to mention something I found interesting – it seemed that the first scene in which there was a ball of the country folk, had them appearing, well, very unkempt! I know the beards of the men were rugged throughout the film, even the wealthy, except for Mr. Bingley (but he appeared about 18 or something) ~ but the people at the beginning were looking rough shall we say?
And, I didn’t think that the pigs in the house of the Bennets were quite accurate….
No comments:
Post a Comment