Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Larks and Owls

"Study and in general the pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives.....Albert Einstein.


I haven't been able to get to bed early these days. I don't know what it is, but my body clock just wants to be up later than I wish it would. Madam B is a natural night owl. I'm not a lark, but I do try to force myself into a daytime schedule, but I am failing at it miserably as of late! ....and I just peeked in my daughter's room and she's reading her Astronomy!

I've wrestled with the whole idea of "Early to bed, Early to rise" being correct, but alas, she just doesn't work that way. Oh, she can get up if she needs to, and she does prepare for such a thing, if necessary -- so, I don't worry about it too, too much. She's an owl who can masquerade as a lark if a purpose needs to be served.... But still, I feel as if I am breaking some kind of unwritten law in the universe by letting my child adhere to her own natural rhythm.

Ah, but there is the beauty of homeschooling ...We will have to wait for the Big Picture to be completed in all it's hues and rays and tempos to fully know though- 'What is truth?'

I am afflicted with all I have been taught and mimicked by growing up in the 9 to 5 world. I have always hated it. Sorry to use so strong a word as 'hate', but it truly was one of the things that revolted me about living! Up with the noise of some alarm clock that you bought in a dime store somewhere, making some annoying staticy verberation -- or maybe like Groundhog's day, playing 'they say we're young and we don't know, won't find out until-il-il we grow....". Alarm clock pounding well, It was just something I did then to survive what I thought was living a life. Oh, how I wish I knew then what I know now...

In the meantime, I have been going with the flow of my third child, and it has been so much better between she and me. The delightful time we spend together is a treasure you can't buy anywhere on this earth. They don't sell it, you have to earn it. It is difficult for me to believe that I could be doing some harm to my child by not conforming to the dictates of the public school bell. But there would be those who would argue, there would be those who could see a difficulty coming my way; but I'm in it now! This is the life we are living, and I am liking the results I see with this child.

I do believe one 'should train up a child the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it' ... but no where does it say that all feet walk the same path. Temperaments are not all the same; and how can you build a successful and loving relationship with your child, if you don't understand their temperament? Understanding brings knowledge. Knowledge brings trust.
Each child responds to a parent who invests time into getting to know them. Time invested gives us the solid ground for the trust needed to guide our children to make the right decisions for themselves later on -- when he is old, and we're not there, to walk the path with them.

Okay ~ so I've got this little owl....and, I read some information about owls --stating, "they are not lazy, they are not lacking in motivation, their mood gets better as the day goes on (so true for Madam B!), and being a lark or an owl could possibly be related to a genetic fact, (and I am in the group that believes it biological not
physiological) ."

So, what is one to do? Well. I want to take a shot at doing it right. Why not? So many tried and true techniques of child-rearing have had failed products. So, why shouldn't I try to get to live in such a way to experience truly getting to know my child. Between the two of us, we might be able to work out something really great. At least, unique, or something very like it.

Then, turning to speak of myself, I'm falling into my pattern of overwhelmness. I have too many tasks that I am juggling in the fire. I'm going to need to call in for the troops, or find a way to get it organized. I mean, this room I am in, is so close to getting done here...but we shall prevail! I will tomorrow, focus on each hours duties. Progress will be made, it will have to be. I shall not fail at this. These tasks can be completed. I just need to find the little thing that will be the piece that plugs into me and gets the fire going! I'll find it. I will find it.

I want to win. I want to be done. 7 days sound resonable. I'll have all this done in 7 days --
Room finished
bag up clothes for nan and nathan
bag up clothes for sean
closets empty and organize- mine, book pantry (things arranged/painted)
billing (if this part is not done! no food)
Payroll/Pay land tax
That's enough to dwell on for now .....

"Don't waste life in doubts and fears; spend yourself on the work before you, well assured that the right performance of this hour's duties will be the best preparation for the hours and ages that will follow it"~~~~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson.








No comments: