Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds us down or polishes us up depends on us.
-- Thomas L. Holdcroft
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, the sun rose again today, so here we go. Wonder if the calendar goes around in circles 'cause the earth is round, or if the earth is round 'cause the calendar goes around in circles?
Do you ever have times when you look at the calendar and think, "okay, well, this will be a busy week. But I'm getting all my appointments out of the way! Hooray for me. Aren't I just so smart?" Not knowing that, out there waiting, is.... Life. Life with it's own game plan; it's own rules. And Life wanted that week on my calendar as much as I did. And so Life just schedules a bunch on stuff on top of my bunch of stuff.
Whether you consider life illusion or fantasy (and I think some days it might be both), it's there every day you wake up. And sometimes it doesn't even say Good Morning!! It's starting to overwhelm me some days. People talk about Life all the time. I noticed that I hear many expressions over and over and use them to explain this thing called Life. Here are a few that come to mind. Just a few, mind you - I have many more, I just don't have the time today to write them all down!
1. That's life.
...What? This is the most vague, disjointed statement of no meaning. What it means to me, is that someone left the room and didn't finish this sentence. Or maybe they were pointing at something and no one saw what it was. But I use it anyway. People always nod like they know what it means.
2. There are no dress rehearsals in life.
...Don't pretend or even think you have time to get ready. You don't. The director yelled "action" long ago. You can restart the scene, as many times as you wish, but the camera never stops rolling. And remember, people are watching when you think they aren't, so smile. They talk more about you when you don't, then when you do. And, come on, smiling never hurt anybody.
3. Shoot from there!
....I borrowed this from a soccer coach. He was on the next field from us and just kept yelling it and yelling it. I thought it was a good plan to implement when it looks necessary. On days when you've got nothing but yourself to rely on, and it's looks like panic could possibly take over, - 'take your best shot' might be a way to phrase this one - but I use this one. Sometimes, no matter where you are, you gotta take the shot. And don't forget to smile. Because people are looking at you.
4. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus, and you gotta right to believe.
No explanation needed really. I just believe this.
I have more rules. Yes, several. My poor children are raised on cliques, song lines, Bible verses, and mama's made up rules in between, but not necessarily in that order. Sometimes I think someone borrowed my brain one time while I was sleeping and just filled it with stuff. Or like my brain came prepackaged with information that was scheduled to burst forth at unsuspecting times.
Well, the clock on the wall in the hall, says I am out of time and must go. Perhaps today as I travel my path, I will jot down a few more of my learned and memorized rules. It will be part of the other plans I make while Life is busy making theirs.
No comments:
Post a Comment