The evening is slipping away. Time for many to be in the zone of the red realm-rems- of sleep. No more thinking, only sorting things out in gentle and easy ways to be found complicated by the time dawn shows it's early morning grin, when all the greatest information of the night hides somewhere in an illusional forum, dancing around in your memory, and you try so hard to catch it; it can make you smile, the playful dodger it be... Oh well...
On the brink of the evening the thoughts come - the pieces that are being explored and floating around in the mind, from weekly reading and discussion, the ones that haven't quite landed in understanding yet, like Protagoras telling Socrates that should a certain student come to him he will not experience the sort of drudgery with which other sophists are in the habit of insulting their pupils; Socrates questions Protagoras asking, "Do I understand you; and is your meaning that you teach the art of politics, and that you promise to make men good citizens?"
And Protagoras answers "That, Socrates, is exactly the profession which I make."
Socrates, from information he has gathered at this point, feels that virtue cannot be taught, but then again, he says, he feels he waivers when he hears Protagoras lay out his points. But Socrates has a need to see it a little more clearely so asks Protagoras if he would be so good as to accommodate him. Protagoras agrees. And, at this moment, I leave them discussing the matter of how Protagoras will present this truth of his to Socrates, wondering should he argue out the question, (which was my choice), or should, Protagoras as an elder, speak to Socrates a younger man in an apologue or myth?
I'll pick it up tomorrow to see what they decide ...
I already have my feelings that man must be taught to be virtuous. That it is still important to teach that, expect that, encourage that, reward that, pray for that. But I'm not sure man can be born with virtue ~~ But I could be so far off the point of their discussion !! - who knows. Stay tuned. I'll take you through as I go.
Slowly....
Sunday, September 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment