Thursday, September 15, 2005

Ground Control

"He who mounts a wild elephant goes where the wild elephant goes." Randolph Bourne
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Ever been in heavy traffic when the power is out? No lights at the main intersections? And it's about that time of day when people are getting off work?

And your learner's permitted child is driving?
oooh~~be still my heart.

It was quite an experience. However, I must say right off, she did really, really well. I’ll give her that. I was as calm and as cool an instructor as I could muster. I didn't freak out or anything that dramatic, although, I was sounding like a coach on a football team. When I would see a break for us, I would yell, "Go! Go! Go!" And some of the time when a car was approaching I would just make these odd sounds, which mimicked a noise equal to those of high pitched dog calls, that she had to interpret. But, praise the Lord, we arrived home without a scratch, so today, an A+ in Driver's Ed for Madam Blueberry!!

You know, it's bad enough that most people don't understand about driving when there are no traffic lights, and I'm not sure there are ‘specific’ rules that apply, above actual common sense treating of the intersection as a four way stop, but what I realized today is that Big Vehicles rule. The truck next to us makes a decision to GO, and guess what? the oncoming traffic seems to stop and people in his lane GO!

I remember reading a saying that was something like this, ‘true knowledge is not attained by thinking, it is what you are, it is what you become.’ I think a big part of true knowledge is being able to handle yourself in a stressful situation!

No comments: