I learned the rule long ago, but still go by the sound of the ear -- I found this link and loved the last part --
...If you apply those two rules, and you are still not sure, apply the all important Rule #3.
Rule #3: Give it a sincere and honest effort to determine if it's "who" or "whom." If it takes more than 30 seconds to figure it out, pick the one that sounds best to the ear (read it aloud) and move on. Why? Because even grammarians are likely to squabble over which to use. But always - always - apply rules #1 and #2 before using Rule # 3.
And of course, the dilemma of spelling 'dilemma' ...
(I'm sure I was taught to spell that word incorrectly back in the day)
Friday, August 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment