Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Help was on the way

Yesterday was one of those days for me. We have all had them -- Out of sync and annoyed with yourself. Even so, I would think I would have learned by now not to get all tied up in that thought because the universe is so neatly tied up together. Getting agitated makes it really hard to see where the strings are all connected, but they are - and many times in a good way.

I went to my brother's house to cut my nephew's hair, and didn't I forget my scissors? Normally, I would have said, "well, I'll just do it tomorrow," because I go over there 5 days a week. But this time, after I was there for about an hour, I decided to run back home and get them.

I pulled up in my driveway, hurriedly got out of my car, and then heard someone yell, "Hey!" I looked around for someone and saw one of my neighbors, that I hadn't met, sitting down in the grass in his front yard.

Long story short, Bill is 84 years old, uses a walker and had decided to spray the front yard where the red ants were. He fell and couldn't get up. He said he had yelled at a couple of cars that came by, but there wouldn't be many where we live during the day, and also, as hot as it is, everyone would have their windows up. I know they couldn't have heard him.

I called 911. The fire department came out, and this was the kicker - don't laugh - but out of the fire truck came three of the most handsome firemen I had ever seen! I thought of my daughter and my two nieces - I said, don't laugh - I mean, here are three great looking guys, just as nice as can be, cool, calm, collected....
anyway,
They locked arms and hoisted Bill up -- did I mention Bill is the size of a football line backer? He's a huge man! -- but they hoisted Bill up like he was a marshmallow floating to the top of a hot chocolate drink...

Did I mention it was hot! And Bill had fallen in an area that was not shaded, and he was sitting in red ants. He didn't want to go to the hospital, as the firemen asked him that first thing -- but they did ask him the standard questions:

1. "Do you know where you are?" Bill said, "Yes, I'm sitting on my butt in my front yard."

2. "Do you know what day it is?" Bill said, "Yeah, it's Tuesday."

3. "Do you know who the President is?" Bill hung his head and said, "Don't ask me that."

The firemen were silent and each stared at him with concern. And then Bill said, "I can't stand that guy."

One of the firemen said, "Well, I think he answered our question. I think he knows who the President is."

The ice was broken, we all laughed, and the handsome firemen gave me permission to go home. ( At that point I had begun to give them motherly advice, and I think they didn't need me 'helping them' with their job!)

But they thanked me for doing such a kind thing. I had told Bill that God was, indeed, watching out for him that day, as I don't usually make that trip back home.

Isn't life just so interesting? I love the little connections, and I am still working on understanding the big ones. I'll probably never get there, but somehow, I don't think that really matters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
job said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.