Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Tuesday, then Wednesday ....quickly it seemed

So it's Wednesday. Again. And somewhere else, it's Thursday.

I suppose to blog, one must blog about what one knows, or pass along information one has found out and think now they know something more than they knew before. I, for one, am still often astounded at what I think everyone should know and then find that someone obviously does not know and causes a huge ruckus with their lack of knowingness. Like left turns or simple right turns, or how to function at a four way stop, and not every place is a right turn on red, and your cell phone use while driving can interfere with your thinking.

When I am on my cell phone in the car, which is more these days then I prefer, if I'm in traffic, I just say, 'left turn' and put the phone down. Some people who call me don't even realize I have put the phone down.

Today the car in front of me was making a right turn into a parking lot area. Then. Out of the clear blue sky, the car in front of him decided he was making a right turn, also, into the same parking lot area without any warning or thought of anyone behind him. There was much honking and screeching of brakes. They were both turning into the exact same piece of road. Both were in little gray cars. Maybe they thought they were the same car. It was strange to watch. I was, apparently, the only one of the three of us paying attention.

Then it was funny to watch them try to figure out who should go, now that they were practically on top of each other. It was like a video game. Like someone was pressing a control button as one would edge forward and brake, and then the other would edge and brake. I think they were afraid to look at each other.

Down the street from me, on an electric wire, are a couple of pairs of sports shoes. They are tied together on a string - I think Madam B photographed them - they are not old shoes. Funny, that someone came home without their shoes, and I wonder what they told their parents. I've seen two other people taking pictures of the shoes.

Monday night my sister in law and I took both her parents to the emergency room. What a long day that was. My mother in law passed out at 8 AM. I told her to go to the walk in clinic.

"No, I'm fine now," she says. (She's 80 - did she forget?). I had a really long day with my nephew that day, as my mother had had surgery on her feet and I needed to keep Jacob from 9 AM until 6 PM.

I talked to my mother in law and sister in law a few times during the day and couldn't convince anyone to go to the doctors. I was sure she was dehydrated.

So I get home a little after six, and go over to their house (which is right next door to mine) and I hear my father in law coughing. And that was not a cough to fool with,

"You really should get that checked out," I said.

"I'm fine," he said ~ (He's 90 - did he forget?)

so finally, at around 7 PM ~ it took my husband, my sister in law and myself to convince them - you really need to go to the doctors. (Where is Mr. Rogers when you need him? "Can you say 'stubborn'?)

Long story short, we got home around 9:30 PM. My mother in law is dehydrated, but the passing out thing is something she has been doing for awhile. She probably has the same thing my husband (her son) has - neurocardiogenic syncope
.

But. I've never been 80, and I've never been 90. I have not a clue what it's like to try to read your body signs that far down the road. My own aging body is tricking me now and again, and I'm not sure what is going on. A weird thing this aging stuff, but I think I can tell you - it's safe to watch your diet carefully, and drink water! (Yes, she was dehydrated, and my father in law has acute bronchitis, which I found out is something that just comes on quickly and is contagious), get exercise, and don't stress. It's just not worth it.

My mother in law will probably end up going to a cardiologist for further checking out Maybe she has a slow heart rate.

My father in law is supposed to get plenty of rest, but he just doesn't get that. He is sure that he should be walking every day. And I don't blame him one bit. He's wrestling with wanting to fall asleep and go for a walk. Mr. B says, 'you know, it's his life, and he should just make his own parade.' I tend to agree, but find myself reminding them of the doctors advice.

I did go to the library and check out about 6 movies for them, and got some books and some magazines for them to read.

I, myself, am tired. Just plain old fashioned tired. I should follow my father in law's parade and just go walking anyway.

No comments: