Over the years I have been faithful to making my kids write letters and thank you notes.
Tonight my mother in law brought over a pile of them, and what a treasured time it was looking through them! There is no way anyone would remember these things without having them right in front of them. Just looking at the spelling and the formation of the letters and the grouping of words becoming sentences was one thing from the 'teacher' point of view in me, but the sweet sentiments of my kids! I just got welled up with tears reading them.
Sean wrote this letter to his grandma when he was 10 --
Dear Grandma,
When I think of you, I think of your fun spirit, working outside, eating raisins bread (my favorite) and best of all, you just being here. We also love Grandpa being here.
See, when you're here, I can sometimes skip school!! ha! ha!
Hope to see you soon.
Love,
Sean
I lauged so hard at this. It's in cursive, and you can read it. I'm not sure you can read his handwriting now that he's 20! There are words crossed out and replaced - like 'jest' crossed out for 'just', and 'hear' crossed out for 'here', and 'bear' for 'being' and 'raisins' has a big fat S on the end. But it's precious as all.
And my mother in law did the sweetest thing! On each of the cards and letters, she has written a comment! Like on that letter she wrote, "Sean, you are such a great writer. I love getting your letters." I guess she intended on giving them back one day.
So that's an idea for us. When we get those special little notes and cards from the special kids in our families, we can write a little message for them to have when they look at them when they are all grown up.
It funny about those things, that sometimes at the time, there might be a little fussing about the doing of it, ‘Oh, I already said thank you do I really have to write a card?’ …I held my ground, “Yes, you have to write a card. People need to know that you care and appreciate them.”
No comments:
Post a Comment