On a serious note, I have been reading around the blogs about the issue of spanking since the death of 7 year old Lydia Schatz, whipped to death by her parents who are now charged with murder. Just google her name, and you will come upon a multitude of links talking about this.
This awful happening has brought up the issue of spanking on a lot of blogs. Spanking - yes? or Spanking - no?
I say, 'no' ~ not under any circumstances. I'll post more of my thoughts later when I have more time. But, I do want to be a voice that might persuade people to think of another way to discipline, so I will get to it.
A lot of people with opinions about spanking have no more credentials than I do. They are just parents reading a book that says something about what someone else thinks, or grandparents, or aunts or uncles, or people who have lived ~~
Some of the people who write books that people are reading to help them make the decision to spank really have no more education on this matter than I do.
So, that said ~ I'll be giving my thoughts on the matter, if for no one else but the future generations of my family who will be read this blog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
From a behavior standpoint, punishment is one of the worst ways to modify a behavior. Reinforcement of appropriate behaviors is far more effective.
Unfortunately, spanking is easier on the person administering than constant reinforcement. Our society will come to the conclusion that reinforcement is better, eventually.
There are loads of books on behavior analysis. Check them out, and you'll find some good, concrete reasons for why spanking isn't a great idea.
I agree. And thank you for you comment.
I'm beginning to think many people just grew up with the idea that 'spanking is what you do.' And I do hope that society gets with it soon.
Post a Comment