Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lions for Lambs

This is one of those films that dropped off quickly from the box office being given really bad reviews. Actually, I don't recall one good review.

I saw it last night. I liked it. I didn't like what it said, though; the film is on a topic that can make you uncomfortable. It said, pretty much, if you do nothing for your country, just what do you expect? If you talk the talk without walking any kind of walk, what do you expect? Do you believe what the media writes? How do you know it's true? Where have you been? What have you done to say you know what is right?

It asked all those questions and more.
Who is accountable?
Are we accountable for nothing in our country?
It's almost like you can't even say, "oh well, I vote." Then, it's "well good for you...now, what do you really know about what you are voting for or whom?"

There are overlapping stories in the movie that show we are all one if you look hard enough. A political science professor (Robert Redford), a Republican Senator (Tom Cruise) and a journalist who has seen and heard probably all the bs (Meryl Streep) try to cope with the places they are in life right now. They are different ages and have seen different times, but all can and are affecting the world right now.

I found it thought provoking.

Robert Redford, Meryl Streep, Tom Cruise and a very good unknown supporting cast.

Part of the bad wrap was the fact that the film was said not to be entertaining, that it went around in circles, well, know what? So does the world, just keeps spinning 'round.

No comments: