Thursday, February 15, 2007

"Poetic Art for the Heart"

I just love the title of this article I found recently. I was in a doctor's office and there is a little magazine called Natural Awakenings. It's one of those black and white, free, publications.

The article sites it's source as Prevention.Com --

The summary is this --

Reciting Poetry with a good beat can give your heart a relaxing break. Some researchers in Germany have discovered that "walking around a room breathing in time to a poem with lines long enough to afford a long, full exhale" can actually calm our heartbeat. (Isn't this amazing? I love this!)

It also works "to enhance how well our heart rests and recuperates from daily stresses." According to the International Journal of Cardiology, the latter signals decreased risk of out of rhythm heartbeats and even heart attack or stroke. (Is this not so cool?!)

"Recitation links body and soul-mind, breath and body-in a unique way," says researcher Dietrich Von Bonin of the Institure for Complementary Medicine at the University of Bern. Von Bonin suggest using verse comprised of long lines with "three or four repreated rhythmical stresses throughout each line." Rhyme is optional!!

Samples of effective poems include Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "The Song of Hiawatha" almost anything by Charles Kingsley or "modern poems with requisite long lines and rhythmic pattern."

I'm not sure yet about my knowledge of modern poetry or who they would refer to as a modern poet, but I love that research has found that poetry can help the heart. Because poetry has been a matter of the heart, in my opinion, since the first poem was uttered.

No comments: