- Thank God it's Friday. I love Friday's! I celebrate them. They are wonderful. (However, I know this is Saturday – blogger would not accept my post last night!)
2. I am tired of people's negative thinking. Why? Do they want to stimulate conversation? It's boring. Go away from me with it. Negative voice, negative thinking ~ be gone!
3. I can't believe this idea I had with my closet! I wish I had Nate Berkus the decorator from the Oprah show right now, along with her checkbook, to bail me out of this. This is not a pretty picture here. Messy, messy, messy. I did begin to organize (but you can only know that from a distance) and have begun to put all my photographs on one side of the closet. (I need a closet as big as New York, really.)
4. I have a concert schedule. It doesn't include Jackson Browne, sadly, but I'll be seeing Kris Kristofferson next week on the 28th, then Lindsey Buckingham on the 11th of March, then Leo Kottke on the 30th. Not bad entertainment any of them.
5. I tried to get to the beach the other day, Thursday it was, and couldn't get there!! I think it was just so beautiful and we had come out of some very cold weather, that everyone had the same idea! I could have walked from my house, but I had Jacob with me and didn't feel up to that. At some point he would have said, 'carry me' and I would have said, 'no' ... I suppose I could have pushed the stroller. Oh well, maybe another day I'll do that.
6. There was a lady at the park yesterday with her 4-year-old son. She has 5 children total, but only the youngest with her. She knew everything there was about child rearing (she seemed to think. She interrupted every activity with the explanation of what to do and how to do it and what not to worry about. Like no one knew but her.) Ever met that person? Funny thing was this -- she said she would have liked to have had the opportunity to have hired someone to be with her children for a several hours everyday.
I asked her, if she could have done that, what would she have paid them. And she spoke very boldly in her answer saying she would definitely have paid them at least $7.00 an hour.
$7.00 an hour? That's almost laughable. Someone is 'in charge' of your CHILDREN, (and five at that) and you would pay them at least $7.00 an hour? (Well. Good luck with that honey. You need Nanny MacPhee, my guess is).
Why does someone think, that a person who is paid to be with your children - to replace the parent for any given length of time - is worth only at least $7.00 an hour? They are not laundry, you know. People get twelve to fifteen dollars an hour to clean a house!
I do understand that some people don't have a choice about working (or think they don’t) and have to leave their children in some kind of 'care' somewhere, be it a school or a home or someone coming in the house, but I really think the value of that service, of that time someone is putting into your child (or not actually) is worth something so much more than people seem to acknowledge. Are people really that stupid?
I take care of my nephew and his parents do pay me. Do I get paid what I'm worth? No. They could not afford me if they tried to measure it in dollars. The worth of me, and my time spent with their child, cannot be measured in dollars and cents because the total will keep coming up - forever and ever. And if you don't get that -- you just don't get it.
Whatever one puts into a child, one puts into the world. And that is on and on ad infinitium.
No comments:
Post a Comment