The town I live in is very small. The big towns, if you can call them that, are 20 minutes in either direction - north or south. The ocean can drown us should she decide so.
This town was created with the idea of encouraging walking. You can walk to purchase anything you need, go to churches, doctors, dentists, parks, sports activities, fire department, police department, water and utilities, library, movie rentals, banks, one fast food, plenty of other restaurants and eateries, dry cleaning, hair salons, businesses, plenty of shopping ... you can see, they meant it. It was built to encourage walking.
Recently, there has been a lot of conversation about a Starbucks Cafe and Drive Thru buying out one of the banks on the main intersection corner. A lot of people don't want it. They say a Coffee Drive Thru will encourage ... driving thru and not walking.
I'm not sure what they thought the Wendy's drive thru or the Banks drive thru-s encouraged...but they don't like the idea of the Starbucks.
I do suppose that many people would be going there for a Latte on their way to work and that particular intersection will slow down. It's bad enough now with people pulling out of the gas station there across from that particular bank, who want to make a left turn across two lanes of traffic (I get so annoyed with people who do that), and cause a real slow up when they get into the first lane because they have tricked the oncoming traffic as to what their true intentions are of where they are headed...
anyway,
We'll see what happens.
You cannot step twice into the same river, for other waters are continually flowing in.
Heraclitus ca. 500 BCE
(I really don't know if that has anything to do with walking and a possible increase of traffice problems, but I thought it was a neat quote.)
Saturday, February 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment