Saturday, February 11, 2006

An Unsettled State of Being

Nothing so much prevents our being natural as the desire to seem so. ~François, Duc de La Rochefoucauld, Maxims, 1678


This state of life we are in right now, I'm not enjoying it's unsettling feeling. It seems to be taking to long. Every room is a mess, and I can't feel peace in that. It's like too much of a mess and then I can't function.

Constant questions: What do you keep? What do you discard forever? What do you need? What do you really, really need? Are we out of boxes?

In the current run, how do you have a life while you are leaving one and going to enter into another one, that will be for the long run? I have to have one now. I know I'll work it out, I'm sure of that. I'll survive, I'm sure. But I feel so lonely in the process. I wonder why that is?

So it's just the process that is annoying. In the middle of it all, you can't see but so much to do that it is paralyzing....and all that has to be done, must be done. So there then. I must go and do it. Settled.

It is human nature to stand in the middle of a thing. ~Mariane Moore, "A Grave," Collected Poems, 1951

No comments: