Saturday, February 25, 2006

Trade offs

Regarding Oprah's The Debt Diet show again ~ my other post began it ~~ I may keep this up because it is a great diversion to going nuts ... And thinking about how other people live their lives, sometimes, gives you a deeper reflection on how you live your own. Sometimes we do not want to look at the rusty, chipped, and moldy places. We only want to look at the clean counters and neat drawers.

There is another couple on the show who spends money on their children because they want their children to feel really, really good about themselves. And apparently, they are thinking How You Look and What You Drive are the ticket to these feelings of inner peace. The mom does, anyway; I'm not sure what the dad thinks, except that he thinks that their two girls should do some kind of work (chores, we in regular-land call them) around the house in order to have an entitlement to what they are given on a regular basis just because they say they want it ...

One of the daughters has a brand new car, which is a nicer car than her parents have, and the parents (the mother) will not give up the car or the car payment, when the couselor suggested that the child should work and actually pay for the car.

This couple also does not want to give up Friday Night Dinner Hosting for what looks like 4 couples and themselves at their house every week. The counselor suggested they get together, but instead of paying for everything themselves, have a potluck. A concept which has, apparently again, never occured to them. Which I thought was quite reasonable and whole lot more fun. But again, I'm not on television. I'm plain and simple, probably a little cheaper than some, and I hate going to the mall.

These seem like reasonable suggestions for unreasonable situations to have gotten into. I wonder, how did Oprah and her staff choose these particular people?

But the trade-offs - I was thinking, as I think in my Life Theories, that everything is a trade off. I mean you could trade something good for something bad, but you could also trade something bad for something worse, or something good for something better.You have to think about it as It's Always going to Be Something. It is. You can't have nothing and no problems ~ UNLESS ~ you use your mind to control the idea that a thing is not a problem, it's just a situation and therefore Life is Grand at all times ...You see, it's really only a head trip, and all, but still, stuff does happen, and one must deal.
Anyway, the rambler continues on with their song ~

. In the Debt Diet group, I was thinking in particular of the lady who has to do her hair every week; Perhaps, if she didn't do her hair every week, she would have to go to counseling because it would so sorely upset her about her hair. Then that might uncover more underlying reasons for having to have her hair done every week, and then more counseling and in the end, cost more money.

And although, it may solve some other problems regarding the whole entire over spending thing, the time it takes her, may not weigh out in balancing with the money she's spending now. So, maybe The Mistress Oprah sees something in the big picture here that we are not privy, too. Especially since they have the same kind of hair, sort of, there may be a bigger and clearer understanding, as Oprah had said of the situation, "I understand. I completely understand.".
Or not. It just could be that Oprah has listened to a lot of people talk and might be able to recognize when there is a brick wall not worth running into.

Also, I'm thinking perhaps Oprah selected some people that could be helped, that could really be successful at this Debt Diet concept. So that's smart programming and it's a good feeling for all that vested time in watching people go through stuff, if the peope do succeed. (Which makes me think that Simon Cowell is out there somewhere thinking) And my guess, into the universe, is that she is trying to figure out a way to help those people who really, really don't have another log to throw on the fire.

No comments: