Sunday, January 29, 2006

All good things must come to an end.....

We awaken in others the same attitude of mind we hold toward them. ~Elbert Hubbard

The garage sale is over! I think I would call it successful in terms of separation. People separated from their money and we separated from our stuff. And no prisoners we taken, nothing was stolen, but lots of coffee was consumed (French Press Express!).

Let's see ~ we tagged most things very, very fairly (cheap). Ten cents, twenty-five cents ... and like that. That prevented a lot of haggling. People seemed to be happy to take *whatever*, smile, and hand over their change - which mounted nicely. We sold all but two pieces of furniture and only negotiated on one piece. We made over $600.00 after the cost of the ad, the coffee and the bagels, so we are not displeased at all.

Of course, things _never_ go smoothly, do they? (Proving out my theory of "It is always something.") For three things, we had accepted a couple of checks. Mr. B looked at me a little hazily, with that eye rolling * you did what?* look... so I quickly jumped in my car. Which wasn't going anywhere because the battery was dead.

So I jumped in the other car. Which wasn't going anywhere because people pull their cars right up in your driveway! Which I think is not very nice Garage Sale ethics, but I may be to strict about things like that ...
Anyway,
I did get out finally and drove directly to the bank.

Which was closed.

I neglected to realize how early it was.

We had gotten up at 6 AM - the sale was not suppose to start until 9 AM, but people were at our door at 7AM. We just continued setting up, but the Garage Sale Crowd is a serious crowd...the ones who come early are the real deal and they are planning on a purchase.

Things moved so fast, I didn't realize that it was only 8:30 when I got to the first bank and the bank doesn't open 'till 9. So I went to get gas (which is like making a mortgage payment these days), and then got some bagels, and then back to the banks -- and, of course, one check was no good.

I drove home and called the people (who had not left with the piece of furniture but had made arrangements to come get it that afternoon.) I spoke to the wife (who turned out to be lovely), and she drove over with the cash. So good on that. The other checks were good.

What's weird is, that is the check that I thought would be good. The one I thought would not be good was a fellow with the oddest name, I shouldn't write it, but it's like no name I ever heard -- okay, well, I doubt he'll read my blog --
It was Gerrand Poggle. (Okay, someone probably has that name and doesn't like me any more now, but it didn't seem like a real name). The address was a street called 'Our Way' and there was no date and no phone number. I thought sure, that bit of money was lost, But nope! Good as gold --

Oh! Forgot to mention! Two groups of people came to the Garage Sale THE NIGHT BEFORE!! Is that bold or what? I never
...I just don't quite get this crowd, but whatever,

It's over

and Madam B, who was very excited about the thing and it's potential happening and going on, has decided she never wants to have one again!

She worked so hard! I cannot say enough good stuff about this child of mine. I treated her to a salad from Applebees (even though I said I would never go there again, I had $15.00 off, so I took a chance and it worked out this time), and she seemed happy about that.

I've got to make another run down South towards the end of this week to take my in-laws home, so I'm going to drop a load of boxes off at my sister-in-law's house over in Hobe Sound. This is unexpected.

but I must ebb and flow as the wise grasshopper who has much to learn. I must bend and stretch in the softness of the wind, so as to prevent myself from becoming a dried up old prune. I don't know why I mentioned prunes. I am getting old I guess, and they are on my mind.

but I must learn to take the unexpected and make the much told of lemon ade (with a splash of tequila on some occasions) as life hands you these unexpected assignments.

Is life all a plan done up in a bow before we get here?

Is there a reason for the things that happen?

Whatever is the order of things, I do not know. I do not pretend to think I will ever find out until I pass away and see it all from the other side.

But I do know one thing for sure, and that is "It is always something." No matter where you go, no matter what you do, it's always going to be something that finds you and seems to interrupt what you are doing. But is it really an interruption? Or is it your destiny calling?

Listen to the rumble. That's probably your name being called in haiku, or it could be the Garage Sale crowd heading for your house.....

If things go wrong, don't go with them. ~Roger Babson

Remedy it, or welcome it: a wise man's only two choices. ~Terri Guillemets

(All good things must come to an end.....jackson browne)

No comments: