Thursday, January 19, 2006

Much Nothing with Much to Do

"Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us."

So there we are, from Mary, if I recall correctly, in Pride and Prejudice.

My mind is not working all that well as of late, but I am enjoying this book, albeit slowly I go in the reading. When I have a book like this, I have a tendency to go slowly and reread some of the phrases. I like to feel things sink in, to be in some of those moments like a time traveling ease dropper (like Mr. Darcy!), taking in the text and living it as much as I can. Yikes! That probably sounds insane!!

Of course, I can't get Colin Firth out of my head as the face of Mr. Darcy. I like him in the part.

I laughed out loud to myself in Chapter 6 where Mr. Darcy, in regards his fond feelings coming up towards Elizabeth, wishes "to know more of her, and as a step towards conversing with her himself, attended to her conversation with others." -- then you find out, as he is hanging around her conversations, he himself is not saying very much, if anything at all. I found this so comical and read it to Mr. B who also found it funny. It was nice to share a laugh.


"Not all who wander are lost." .... J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm glad of that because I am feeling lost. I have so much to do, I'm sinking into my state of overwhelmedness. It's familiar to me, but I don't really want to be there right now. I need to make a fresh new list tonight and start fresh in the morning. Grab the bull by the horns, belly up to the bar, all those kinds of things. I should probably just drink coffee all day!


Among the numerous luxuries of the table...coffee may be considered as one of the most valuable. It excites cheerfulness without intoxication; and the pleasing flow of spirits which it occasions...is never followed by sadness, languor or debility.
~~ Benjamin Franklin


Maybe that's why I like coffee. I have tried to quit a few times in my life, but I always return to it. I think I just like it. I always associate it with relaxing, but it does help me stay focused. Focusedly relaxed. Nirvana!!


There is a wonder in reading Braille that the sighted will never know: to touch words and have them touch you back. ~ Jim Fiebig


I thought that way a unique thought!
I thought that was a neat thought. I love having a good book. I feel a bit boring this evening. I shall make my leave now.


Tu Tranquilo ~~

No comments: