Thursday, October 06, 2005

Just rambling ....

"Grown-ups never understand anything for themselves, and it is tiresome for children to always and forever be explaining things to them."
~~The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Sean is making his first trip home since moving away in July of this year. He's on the road right now, and I am in constant prayer. Oh my, your children on the road in the dark, driving in the dark on great big highways with other cars and even trucks...I will be so happy when he walks in that door.

We made cookies. But we ate most of them already. They are so good made from scratch. You just can't beat homemade. Unfortunately, they are just as fattening. Maybe less processed, but still, you are doomed to pay for it! So a run or two around the block or 30 minutes on the treadmill for one cookie! Such a penalty for a fine treat!

We cleaned the house, but I made a mess at my favorite sitting spot already because I think I'm just made that way. I am a messy. I get out my books that I'm reading and read each a little, and maybe a pile of bills I'm going to pay, and then maybe the newspaper, and then a notebook to list things I need to remember and, oh where is the magazine I saw with the great recipe, and, well then, next thing I know, things are scattered about and someone is saying, well why did we pick it all up in the first place, and I don't know, really, but it does look nice when it's tidy, now doesn't it?

I have a few things going besides school with my lovely daughter, doctor appointments, visiting a homebound friend, shopping for the weekend, among other things I can't think of right now. One thing is I'm planning a trip out of state. I can't believe I'll be leaving in 14 days! But things like this help me get motivated to get things done, so I can enjoy my vacation.

I'm visiting my best friend and her family. We met on line! Can you imagine that? I thought she was a teenager being homeschooled and it turned out she was a mom with three kids who writes homeschool curriculums! Except now she has 4 kids and she writes books!

Anyway, I never would have thought that I would strike up such a friendship with someone I met on line. Not in a million/trillion years. But we did meet 6 years ago, and I'll have to write that whole story, so I can make sure my kids have it in their memory book.

Madam B is in her room doing some of her school work. She works and reads a lot at night. And she watches the cooking channel. One of her favorites is called "Unwrapped." It explains the 'behind the scenes details' of all kinds of things - how the tiny marshmallows got in your breakfast cereal, how tons of things are actually made and how they were discovered ~ it's an addicting show, very interesting if you are one who likes the details of things.

It's getting late now, and I'm staying up until Sean arrives. Should be about 90 minutes from now.

I could go straighten my mess and maybe have a cup of tea. Yes, that sounds like a grand idea. Calming and relaxing. A nice way to wait.


an interesting tidbit of information ~~

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

From an article on the growth
of federal regulations in the
Oct. 24th issue of National Review






No comments: