Sunday, October 09, 2005

Age in Eyes

"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot."
~~ Michael Althsuler

Today we went to Sunday morning church. Since Sean left for college, we had been taking in the evening service, and I was liking that just fine. I liked the amount of material we covered on Sunday nights. And I liked not having the morning rush. And I really enjoy the pace of Sunday evening church. It seemed more low-key, kind of suited my personality in a comfortable fashion.

But Sean is here this weekend and prefers the morning service, so that's the one we chose to attend.

And I noticed something this morning. We have been going to the same church for 23 years. The kids have grown up in this church. And we have always shared a hymnal. Two each when there were 5 of us, and two each when there were four of us after my oldest went away to college. (And anyone who has taken little kids to church remembers the posture of the task of pointing to the words while singing along with the congregation. Oh those days of first instruction!)
Anyway,
This morning I realized, we all had our own hymnals! And I thought, 'why is this!?' Then it dawned on me. It's a matter of eyesight! Des and Madam B and I, each wear some form of eye assistance, and all in different strengths. And Sean has perfect vision. When any of us share a hymnal with the other, regardless of the combination, you can see the one trying to adjust the hymnal for best viewing, and the other turning and moving their heads, trying to adjust the view of the hymnal page for themselves! This morning it just struck me what a testimony to time this is! And how quickly it has flown past...

No matter how hard one tries, there is rarely a way to see this coming. It's just in a day, it's all changed. In the twinkling of an eye...be ready.

"There are many fine things which you mean to do some day, under what you think will be more favorable circumstances. But the only time that is yours is the present."
-~~~Grenville Kleiser


No comments: