Friday, October 28, 2005

Ah! It's soup!

I was so in the mood for soup! I rummaged through the kitchen and with the help of Madam B, we made a most, lovely, warm comforting soup!

Here's our recipe --

Our Veggie Soup

1 1/2 TB of olive oil
1 tsp of chopped or minced garlic
handful of scallions (or any onion chopped in most amounts will work)
some carrots
some broccoli
some peas
some whole wheat pasta (or rice or potato)
added seasoning of oregano, basil, sage, and nature seasoning salt -

Saute all those things together for a couple of minutes (adding any other veggies that you wish)
then add
5 cups of water
4 tsp of a broth flavoring (we used chicken stock)
1 tsp of soy sauce

Brought all to a boil, and let high simmer for 15 minutes...and hooray

Soup's on!

I think this is a very forgiving recipe. We checked our broth for taste and actually made no adjustments. Just don't over season and remember that seasonings must spend a few minutes together to blend.

We served our soup up in the Biscuit Muffins we had made for our chili last night! I said *we* , but I mean *she* i.e. Madam B!

Our chili was very basic -

One can of Chili Starter Beans
One can of Diced Tomatoes
Simmer -- and then in ten minutes it's
Chili!!

Mr. B prefers the con carne, so we made his separately and added ground beef. We were all happy! (Except that we could have easily doubled our soup recipe and been happier!)


The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thiry years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found....Calvin Trillin



No comments: