Wednesday, April 07, 2010

"Waiting for stuff to happen..."

...so my husband just said to me as he walked by. Huh?

If everybody contemplates the infinite instead of fixing the drains, many of us will die of cholera. ~John Rich


I had no idea what he was talking about. I was reading someone's blog. I love reading. I read lots of stuff - books, magazines, message boards, blogs (I love blogs) and much other stuff, newspapers, notes on the side of the road ... oh, and the stuff he is waiting to happen has to do with a virus scan thing he is doing on my daughter's computer, so he just told me.

Now my husband just asked me, 'do I want to go camping in the Keys?' to which I said, 'no', as I do not want to drive for 5 hours to sleep on the ground. I can sleep on the ground out in my front yard. I live near the beach, so, no. My family does go to the Keys every summer (we grew up around Key West) and we sleep in a very nice hotel at a kid friendly resort. That's lovely. But, 'no', I will not drive for 5 hours and sleep on the ground. (I would fly on a plane to Barcelona to see Jackson Browne in concert, but, that's not what he asked me. ha.!)

Life is one long process of getting tired. ~Samuel Butler


I am recovering from pleurisy. It is not fun. I don't really feel good. But, whatever, everyone has to get something some time. What I dislike most about it is not being able to pick up my granddaughter. She is just the most wonderful thing.

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. ~e.e. cummings, 1955


Today I took two of my nephews to Barnes and Noble. Oh my gosh, we had a lovely, relaxing time! We had a tea and a treat and read and read and read for three hours. Just sat there together and read. No talking, just reading. It was wonderful. One nephew bought a book. I didn't have enough money to buy anything today, but I will another day. We had thought about going to the library, but then the boys always get on the computer, so they decided Barnes and Noble's. I was glad.

My nephews (and great nephews) and nieces range in age from 38 to 6 ~ there are 12 of them. My granddaughter is 16 months. My kids are 33 to 20. And I spend time with all of them. It's like jumping in and out of universes. It's like visiting other planets. They talk so fast! Their minds are full of new and exciting stuff, and old stuff, too. And, what really makes me laugh, is when they learn something new, and they are so surprised that I know that~! Of course, they are constantly telling me stuff that is new to me, too, I can't lie about that. I enjoy it, though. I love learning new stuff. I really should write down everything the 6 year old says. I am going to be sad when he makes that final cross over into the 'real' world.

I will be looking for my granddaughter to keep that portal open ...

1 comment:

LNL said...

Those who contemplate the universe, those who fix drains - both are needed. It takes all kinds.

You've been posting like a mad woman this week! I saw your post on Lydia Schatz and thought it was someone else at first, because another blogger I follow has been keeping up with that case. It's a shame that parenting sometimes comes down to control, and, from there, degenerates into control at all costs.

I'm sorry to hear about your pleurisy. I think what I get either IS that, or is something similar, and it's no fun.