1. I received a package in my mailbox from a friend. I didn't expect anything so it was lovely to find a special surprised for myself there. It was some music and a hilarious card! I am grateful for that deep down smile of a moment.
And, added bonus ~ I love the music he sent~! Truly, it's new to me. There is nothing as wonderful as music some days.
2. I almost got hit by a car. Seriously. I was coming out of the UPS store and had just stepped off the curb and this car, in the parking lot area now, trust me, I was not stepping out onto Highway AIA, comes whizzing around this blind corner at about 60 mph. We all know that parking lot speed is about, what 15?
Anyway, she wasn't even on her phone that I noticed, but she sure was in a danged hurry to get to a parking space. Our eyes met and she slammed on her brakes. Then we stared at each other for a few seconds; no one's face giving away anything. She broke the stare with a deep breath and waved me across the street.
Anyway, one of those small moments you are okay with being alive and whole and walking across the parking lot.
3. Went to the dollar store to pick up some sympathy cards. Had to send out four as my mother in law's sister in law just passed after a year battle with cancer. While I was standing in line waiting, a store manager told me I would have to come to the other side.
Okay. No problem.
He was closing out a register, and I had to wait until he was finished doing that. I stood patiently.
An elderly man came up to the counter to the left of me and slammed his little book on the counter and said, 'How much for that?' The cashier, who was standing motionless at this time waiting for the manager to finish her drawer update, asked him what he had wanted. She knew he wasn't in line and wasn't sure what was happening, and he thrust his finger at the book and said commandingly, "The book. How much?"
She registered the request in her brain, the other man still clearing and setting up her new register, and she answered him, "One dollar and seven cents. Do you want this?"
He didn't answer. The cashier wasn't sure what he wanted,yet.
"Are you next in line?" she asked, knowing full well he was not but trying to be polite, and knowing full well that I knew, and the people behind me knew, he was not.
He didn't answer. I'm not sure if he was embarrassed or what he was thinking ...but as she kept glancing at me, I said, "It's fine. Go ahead and ring him up."
She began, "But you're ..."
"It's alright." I said.
She said again to him, "Do you want the book?"
He said how much again, she answered again, he fumbled through for the money trying to give her the exact change, he couldn't, so he settled on a dollar and a dime, while he grunted at that. Somehow this bothered him.
After he got his change, he just turned and left. The cashier turned and looked at me. I had a slight smile on my face which she probably could not interpret, and she began to apologize over and over, but I told her, "Really, it's okay. If he was young, I might have said something, but seriously, it's okay."
She talked about how she has to look out for her customers, that she needs to make sure they are treated right ... I told her again, it's okay, I'm fine. Because I am standing here with 4 sympathy cards. My husband's uncle lost his wife and his 3 cousins lost their mother, and the elderly man's inability to communicate his thoughts and lack of manners at that moment, just met nothing in the way of hurting my feelings.
But I sincerely appreciated the kindness of the cashier.
#. Watered my plants
5. Pet my cats
6. Talked with my family
7. Spent most of the day with my granddaughter.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment