Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"The Perpetual American Lynch Mob"

Frank Schaffer has a go at explaining The Perpetual American Lynch Mob.

In case one is not aware of who Frank Schaffer is - well, he was part of the original group of evangelicals who started the extreme far-right movement. He tells you so himself in many of his articles.

He states:

"Dad (my late evangelical leader father Francis Schaeffer) and I did our bit in the 1970s and 80s to pass on the torch of unhinged Lynch Mob hate when we helped create the Perpetual American Lynch Mob's "pro-life" incarnation. That movement -- Our Movement -- was begun by people like us wanting to save babies. It ended up in the swamp of homophobia, hate of the "other" and even inspired the murder of doctors."

I always like to read what Frank has to say. I was attending church at the time that The Right Wing heavies of that day, Jerry Falwell, Francis Schaffer, Pat Robertson, to name a few, were in the forefront in the news a lot. They set their train in motion and it's still running well.

I feel that now it is running with much prejudice, judgment, spanking children, and discrimination. I got off that train really quickly, but hung around in the station for awhile and feel like I got a good idea that things weren't headed anywhere towards Fairville. A lot of people don't want fair. I want fair in law, fair in rights ... leave the judgment issues to God and the laws of our land. And people need to participate to keep the laws fair, and all people should be able to participate.

If I have to err, I'll err on the side of fair as often as I can. I mean, seriously ~ why not? If there be a reason why we should not, perhaps someone can clue me in...

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none. ~William Shakespeare

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think bill stole that line from confucius. :p

Just Here For Now said...

Ahhh, tis possible, grasshopper, bill was a seeker, also.