Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~
I am not sure why some parents, grandparents, or assorted relatives do not read to the young people in their family.
Here's my message in brief~
1. READ TO KIDS. ALL KIDS. ALL RELATIONS.
Read them books and stories, read them magazine articles, read them newspapers, the funnies, comic books; read to them what you like, what they like, get picture books that have some words; read with voices as they love that ...
Just Read to Them.
I have observed that many parents in the public school system do not think that reading aloud to their children is a requirement any more. Some of these parents think just handing their child a book and saying, 'read this', it is enough.
IMO, and my credentials as a wife, mom, aunt, sister, grandmother, friend, homeschool parent/teacher, school volunteer, daughter, hairdresser, neighbor, etc ... is that ~
It is never enough.
Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.(1994)
~ Emilie Buchwald ~
2. Not only ~Read~ to your kids, go volunteer to read to children at a local library or school (if you have kids, and have the time, take them with you). When my working hours cut down this school year, that is what I am going to do,
and I read to my granddaughter who is 6 months old. She loves books. Already she knows that the pages turn (knew that last month actually).
Never underestimate a child. I would encourage you to seek out good literature along with reading a book called Icky Bugs ~~
The failure to read good books both enfeebles the vision
and strengthens our most fatal tendency--
the belief that the here and now is all there is.
~ Allan Bloom ~
More later on this topic
Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life.
~ Mortimer J. Adler ~
No comments:
Post a Comment