Monday, June 22, 2009

Health Care ~ Yes, we can see a problem

Health care can be a subject that makes many people cringe. People who have health care coverage cringe. Take me for example ~

I have coverage with Blue Cross Blue Shield for over 20 years, maybe 25 or 30 years? Honestly, I have been writing checks to them for so long, it seems like I'm married to them or supporting them through college ....

I'm thinking, when we first started out, it was for a family of 5 about $250 per month? So, about $3,000 a year? Then up to $4,000 a year, then we had to drop one child as he was too old for me to cover and still the cost was about $4,000 a year, and jumping to current, only three of us are covered and it's about $6,000 a year? So, thinking 25 years .... I know for a fact, they have made a little money on us. I know it.

And tomorrow, my middle son is having his tonsils out. And, my son was notified by the surgeon's office (I think he had to sign a paper), that after he has his tonsils out, NOTHING that happens to his health REMOTELY regarding his tonsils or sinus area (and I'm not sure what other part of his body), or THIS surgery will be covered.

Now, why is that? I've have dutifully paid my bill every single month. I have not missed a payment. I also have an excellent credit report for paying my bills. My child is in, otherwise,
very good health....he has not abused his tonsils.

I think this is radical and unfair and should be against the law.

Not to mention, the surgery is tomorrow and ~TODAY~ I am told by the medical center, that I MUST pay $727.00 before they will operate on my son. TODAY, they call and tell me this.

I told the lady on the phone that this has never happened before when we have used any medical facility for anything. With BCBS, the claim is filed, and then I am billed for the rest.

But, after a long conversation, and actually she did try to get someone to okay it for me to make payments, she called me back three times, because she said ~ get this ~ I was 'nice' (as she told me it was unusual in her job to speak with someone who doesn't yell at her, and okay, yeah, I can understand that ...)

But, wait now, here's the rest ~~~ the reason I must pay this up front, she said, is because 'people do not pay their bills' ....

Excuse me? What people? Who are you looking at? Is someone standing behind me? You mean 'This' people? No, I am not those or them people. I am me, and I have kept my reputation solid in paying my bills ...like a rock. My reputation is like a Bob Seegar song, I kid you not!

But guess what?

Means nothing now.

I have to stop now. I can't think about this clearly right now, but I see the larger dimension of the picture as to WHY we need some kind of public health care ~ that's right, I said it, PUBLIC HEALTH care.

I have to find a way to come up with $727.00 by tomorrow morning. There are lots of songs written about these kinds of situations. Some of them involve convenience stores and banks, and a get away car....

No comments: