Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Electric Bill Challenge

I challenged my family to bring down the electric bill. We brought it down $2.00. Somehow. I'm not sure what that means. We did try the usual stuff, turning off lights in rooms, and this month we turned the computers off when we weren't using them (2 computers).

We did turn more things off when not in use, yes, and now this month, I am going to uplug the lamps and even the coffee machine...... I am seriously thinking of unplugging my dryer and washer when not in use but I can't get anyone to support me on this.

Actually, I would like to close all the circuit breakers in the house, with the exception of maybe the refrigerator, when we are out or not using an item, but I can't get anyone to agree with me on this issue.

The general consensus is that the people I know think that just because something is plugged in and not in use, that it is not causing the meter to turn. I strongly disagree.

I remember when Sean was about 11 we were doing some science involving electricity, and he would check the meter as I closed off different circuit breakers. Any 220V breaker that was closed off, slowed the meter down.

But since no one believes me, I'll have to check again. If indeed, it works, I may just try to see if doing that will lower my bill.

I realize that this will be an inconvenience, but if the price turns out to be right, I might be able to put up with it.

I realize to make a difference in the world, a bit of inconvenience, and maybe a lot, might be involved. I am ready to make that choice.

No comments: