Sunday, January 21, 2007

Ending another week

1. Being a coach has it's benefits. My sis/in/law has joined Weight Watchers and I have become her coach. I have an interest in eating correctly and breaking all these bad habits I have created in my life for the reasons that I eat food, so this is kind of right up my alley.

Like today, she was ready to 'eat' because she said she 'felt' hungry. Well, it was almost noon, so it's lunch time, right - reminded her of that - and then asked what she had had for the morning meal and it was lacking in protein, so suggested a very healthy and light lunch -- sliced turkey wrapped in a large lettuce leaf with green pepper, red pepper, sprig of basil, small slice of cheese if you need it, tomatoe, black olives (few) and even a slice of onion should you desire. Yay. It worked out for everyone and I snacked on grapes.

2. Snacking can be good. Put out good snacking things like grapes and strawberries, and raw veggies. It sounds simple, right? But you would be surprised how many people just don't do this and end up having a show down with every carb in the house!!

3. We ate in an Italian Restaurant last night. My husband's choice. And I was so, so tempted to order something pasta and white sauce with heavy cream from that menu -- but when I asked the waitress about a 'shrimp and tortellini alla vodka sauce', she informed me, "It's in heavy cream. Heavy, Heavy cream." And on that note, she looked me straight in the eye and I found my sister in disclipline.

I ordered a Greek Salad (it was wonderful) and a bowl of Pasta Fagioli. Okay, so I got pasta! But the soup was excellent and seemed better than heavy, heavy cream.

4. I still make my green smoothie every day. I still take my Holy Basil (I think that stuff works). And I still am not allowed to exercise for another 4 weeks. Bummer.

I feel trapped. I don't like this feeling of being restricted and dealing with pain should I 'cross some line' of movement. It's very frustrating. Even though I know I have no right to complain because there is always someone who worse off, I know this. Still. It's frustrating.

I'll have to figure this out.

5. We saw the movie Invincible tonight. It's a story based on the Vincient Papale (Pa-pal-lee) a 30 year old bartender, born and raised in Philadelphia, who got a chance to play football with the Philadelphia Eagles.

The new coach was desperate for players and held an open try out. It was touch and go for Vince, but the coach signed him on because he had heart and character and thought he could put some life back in the team and the feeling of the city. Apparently, he did. It really was a feel good movie. Not a bad family movie either.

6. I still have things to do from my last weeks list. Things don't ever seem to go as I plan them, but I still think planning them is best, or else - my gosh - who would know what would happen!?

7. I did start my garden! I have basil, oregano and some lettuce. I can't tell what kind of lettuce it is. The container just said, "lettuce." Good enough for me.

8. If my life were a movie, I would say the cast is turning out to be very interesting, very loving, very funny and a good group of people. The plot, however -- still a mystery.

No comments: