Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Restful Thinking

I have always written. Just as a means of survival. I have never been diligent about saving my stuff. But it shows up here and there.

My mom was going through some old pictures and found one of my old poems from 1980. I was a widow then. My oldest son was just about four. I felt like I was handling a lot, yet handling nothing.

It’s funny now, how reading this poem brings back the memory of each and everything I mentioned in it ~ this was a real day in my life ~

Restful Thinking
~~Miss Roxie

When you see a mommy resting,
Leave her be.
Because she deserves a break today,
You see ...

She fixed your breakfast
Washed four loads

Mowed the lawn

And folded clothes

Cleaned the bathroom

Darned two socks

Untangled all your shoelace knots

Sewed up Ernie

Washed the dog

Saved you from ‘the great big frog’

Fixed your lunch

Wiped up your drink

Washed all the dishes in the sink…

And now, as the clock rounds one,

She wonders about what’s left undone,

But ‘tis of little matter now,

Because as the angels watch and smile,

Mommy needs to rest awhile.

No comments: