Tuesday, August 29, 2006

They do take it seriously

It's been awhile since I've been in South Florida. Even though I was born here, I haven't lived here since 1983. And the hurricanes weren't as brutal, that I can recall, in those days.

But now, they take it very seriously.

I'm in Martin County. For Tropical Storm Ernesto, they closed the schools on Tuesday and Wednesday. And a lot of people are out of work for Wednesday. They respect the time to prepare and try to allow everyone a day. Course, we don't get paid ... some people do, but we don't, but anyway, the storm is supposed to come in tonight with a bunch of rain and more rain. I don't have flood insurance yet. And they won't sell it to you now. You have to wait for a specified period of time before it's good.

The gas stations have run out of gas. Publix has run out of water and ice yesterday. Walmart still has water, but I don't know about ice.

It's about 11 PM and the torrential rain and hail is starting. I have no idea if the power will hold through the night.

I am less than a mile from the beach. At a time like this, someone might say I am crazy. I might say I am crazy. On a normal day, to live near the beach is brilliant.

But God in Heaven controls it all. You must be wise when you live in a hurricane zone. Don't let your car get half empty. Keep your favorite can goods on hand. Know where your candles and matches and flashlights and batteries are at all times, not just when you catch the alert warnings. Take your shower while you still have power.

Ernesto is kicking it up a notch. I'll be turning off the computer now.

You all take care. I think all will be well here, but we are about to find out about the grade of our property. It was just finished and we weren't finished discussing with the contractors that we didn't quite agree on the grading. Tomorrow we will know more about it.

Tu tranquilo!

Miss Roxie

No comments: