Friday, April 21, 2006

Time is a teacher

"There are years that ask questions and years that answer."
-Zora Neale Hurston, folklorist and writer (1891-1960)

I look back and see what I could have done, maybe should have done, but yet, didn't do. And now I will circle back. Maybe not as far, but you can't leave it behind until you are done with it. Until a lesson is complete, it will ride with you. Then, and only then, can you pass it onto another. Perhaps your children.

But your children are in the cycle of You. You in Production. You in Training.

So you take their little hands, and you lead them. They trust you, and you do the best you can do. Perhaps they will not circle back as much. Perhaps they will jump hurdles because they listened when you told them they were there. Perhaps they will be looking elsewhere when you point out the trap, and they shall stumble. Just ask them what they learned, and go on. There is something to be learned from every experience. And I hold fast it can always be something good.

And then, eventually, we will reap what we sow.

"He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God" ~ Micah 6:8

No comments: