Wednesday, December 08, 2010

"What did you do today?" he said...

I came home at 6:30 tonight, and I wondered if I looked as tired as I felt. As soon as I walked in the door, I remembered I had to deal with some chicken that was thawing in the refrigerator. Tonight was the deadline for cooking it. And. Everyone here had already had dinner.

They had feasted on some chili I had made two days ago (oh my gosh, it was so good) and a store bought pizza I had bought on sale this afternoon. But. I had to cook the chicken -- so I threw together this casserole that came together in my mind from ingredients I had in my kitchen, and it turned out so great! I'll post the recipe just so I have it for posterity.

So, I come in the door, after dropping off my nephew and my granddaughter and begin to scurry around in the pantry looking for potential ingredients, put this thing together and run and take a shower, so I can be back before the timer goes off, while my husband is watching "Good Will Hunting" on the computer screen.

I fly back out within 15 minutes of the done time, and my husband tells me there is a package on the table. It was some things I ordered for Christmas. Great!, I thought. I took it in the bedroom, opened it up, and lo and behold, it holds the wrong items. The packing slip is all correct, the items inside are not.

So, I run back and find my phone, and call the place, explain to the very young thing on the phone the situation, she apologizes the mechanical apology, and I'm not even upset really, these people have never messed up before, but still, it's the holiday time and I want the right stuff just like everyone else ...so she goes off the line with the 4 items I found wrong, and while she's gone, I realize another item is wrong, so we have to go through the same stuff all over again --

the timer dings, and I am still on the phone (have not sat down yet since I've been home) and I have to do a dance in front of my husband to signal him in marriage sign language to get the casserole out of the oven for me.

In the meantime, I had forgotten I had done the casserole for dinner and had begun to boil some water for pasta for some reason, oh yeah, I was going to eat that -- but while I was staring at the boiling water and listening to the young thing apologize again, I thought I don't need to cook the pasta, I'll just eat that great looking chicken casserole --

and the phone call was taken care of...
and the casserole was out...
and I was showered...
and still hadn't sat down...

and my husband said, "So what did you do today?"

I --
had coffee with my sister this morning,
showered got ready, and went Christmas Shopping for my mother and mother-in-law, and then went to Walmart to buy three things: cat food, a toggle link for a bracelet I'm making for a friend, and, and ...I can't remember the third,
but I forgot those three things
and instead spent $164.00 on groceries, and some other gifts for other people, I mean as long as I was in there, ya' know...
came home
unloaded the car
talked with my niece
uh, had lunch, maybe?
then, I was rinsing something off in the shower and accidentally soaked the top of my head,
I had to leave in 15 minutes and good grief what now?
I grabbed a blow dryer and dried it quickly and tried to make it look like I meant it to look this way,
left to pick up my littlest nephew, got him,
ran back to my house to get something I forgot,
broke my car door,
called one of my son's and he couldn't fix it,
called my husband, he can fix anything, but
he was 45 minutes away and I had to leave,
so I drove the car with the door stuck open, into our driveway,
as I had parked along the road because I was just running in, ya' know,
then I had to borrow my older son's car,
let my nephew play at my house for a little while,
took him home, got him a snack, and cut his hair,
went to my son's to pick up my granddaughter,
got her settled in the car, and then we left to pick up my older nephew from middle school,
took him to Hebrew School,
took my granddaughter to the library and played with dine-0-sores, her favorite,
then went back and picked up my older nephew from Hebrew School,
took him home,
took my granddaughter back home,
and returned my son's car
walked in the door
and remembered I had to deal with the chicken ....

I know I left stuff out, woman always do so much stuff, we are just remarkable.

But my husband, who had to get up for work at 3 AM this morning, said, "Wow, you must be tired. Why don't you sit down?" What a good idea. That man can solve any problem.

No comments: