Monday, February 22, 2010

War. Why can't we just say no?

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."
~ John F. Kennedy


Last night we viewed the Academy Award nominated film, The Hurt Locker.

I am not really sure what to say about this film. It is about a special military unit in the Army - the bomb squad - stationed in Iraq. It's a day to day count down, almost appearing documentary at times, which is what makes the realism of that so sad.

The film's subject matter I don't like ~ war ~ but, if there is going to be war, and people are going to allow lives to be sacrificed, then they should probably view this film.

There were times I had to look away.

I could not understand what made the film's main character tick. I could not understand why taking a risk was such a thrill for him, but I couldn't help imagining that, perhaps, if there was not a war for him, that he would maybe have found happiness in bungee jumping or climbing Mount Everest.

Whatever reason we might come up with to have a war, my prayer is that it is a damned important serious kick ass reason. Otherwise, I cannot, can not, allow myself to support such a venture.

So, as far as the film is concerned, be warned. The material is delicate, and those viewing will have to deal with the cold hard fact that this is going on, and also, that you, yourself, may have supported such an atrocity.

I did not, will not, and shall not.

"Prayer is meaningless unless it is subversive, unless it seeks to overthrow and to ruin the pyramids of callousness, hatred, opportunism, falsehoods.
~Abraham Joshua Heschel

No comments: