Friday, February 26, 2010

The Syrian Bride

The story ~ A young woman is getting married. On her wedding day she will leave her family and never see them again. They are all aware of this. It's what the land they live in dictates.

The place ~ The Golan Heights which is a very small area of land bordering Israel and Syria. Who knew it was there? Not me. Actually, this link of Roger Ebert tells you the story of The Syrian Bride, as well as I could if I felt like writing it all out.

The movie was enjoyable, there were subtitles which I do like for a change now and then, but more interesting than the actual film, I found, was the interview with the actress Hiam Abbass. I had checked out the film from the library and her interview is in the part called Special Features.

She speaks of what it is like to be a Palestinian born in Israel. She is Palestinian blood, but because she was actually born in Israel, she is considered an Israeli. She was raised in a Muslim household.

She spoke of the unrest in her part of the world and said that if others would stay out of it, she feels they could resolve their differences on their own. Wouldn't she know better than some of us?

She also mentioned that the film was a collaboration of Israelis and Arabs. The differences known to the world of their dislike for each other did not touch that film set. Gosh, it really makes one wonder, what is going on in this world, you know? What is real and what is fake? Why such effort to keep hate brewing for something different than yourself going? What's it all about, Alfie?

It just makes no sense, sometimes, no sense at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.