Friday, February 22, 2008

Happy Birthday to my Darling Daughter

My only daughter turned 18 today.

To say I was overwhelmed by the event is one of those statements that one finds under things. Truly. I have been overcome by emotion for the greater part of the day. Reading cards in the Hallmark store had me weeping. I choose a card with what I thought were befitting words, and then ended up writing a brief novella inside the flap.

There's not enough that can be said about a mother's love anyway, not it's depth, it's height, it's volume, it's boldness, nor it's purity. A mother's love encompasses in the boundaries of those things that only God knows about and can explain.

And God explains things with rainbows and clouds and stars and moons and suns and flowers and singing birds. No Hallmark card can top that.

I am barely able to contain the joy of having a daughter such as this. God has blessed me. Her character is strong and resolved. She is introspective, reflective, and charming. I find her wit brilliantly entertaining to me. She and William Shakespeare would have shared a great laugh over tea and scones.

I love her truly, madly, deeply.
Thank you, God, for a gift such as she.
Her beauty surrounds her and runs through her like a river.
May she always be yours, this gift of mine.

2 comments:

LNL said...

18! It seems like it came pretty quickly. I'm sorry the cat knocked over the flowers - I hope they were salvageable. Happy Birthday to her!

Just Here For Now said...

We salvaged the flowers. The vase -no. It was a white fluted vase she had given me long time ago --- I try not to feel to badly about things like that.

I did plant a rose bush dedicated to her on her birthday. Red tea roses. She was surprised.