Friday, November 14, 2008

Look! Up in the sky...

This evening we watched the Space Shuttle Launch from our front yard.

I still find it amazing that we are sending a shuttle into the heavens to hook up with a space station out in the universe somewhere, and, I'm really not sure why we do this.

So, like anybody who wants to know something _right now_, I googled it. And this was one answer:

Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by loss of bone tissue mass, which affects a large portion of the American public. Astronauts in space for a long duration also experience an accelerated form of this disease. Space station research focuses on finding methods of preventing bone demineralization on space flights as well as finding treatments for those affected by osteoporosis.

Huh? There is an acceleration of research on osteoporosis because the Astronauts get it? Okay. Well. I am sure it is beyond my understanding, as are many things that human beans propose to do and say.

Here's another one here that explains a few more benefits. I'm still not convinced we need this.

I read some of the comments regarding the launch and many, many people are excited about it. I have mixed feelings about it. I think all things are relative to what is going on at the time, and at this time, I think it might be more relevant to look around and straighten out and tend to some things right here on the planet. But, hey, that's just me.

No comments: