When I heard Katie Couric tonight say that Bake Sales were against the law now in California due to the rising percentage of obesity in children, I laughed out loud. I am sorry. This is ludicrous. And that is not a rock singer.
The incident she was reporting about was this one. I think one of the kids made a great point:
“I know obesity is a big problem, and it’s good the school cares,” said Sam Cardoza, a senior who briefly became a successful entrepreneur last year when chocolate chip cookies were banned from the cafeteria. “At the same time, you shouldn’t stop a kid from buying a cookie.”
The problem, of course, is never as simple as it's presented though, is it? Kids are fatter, so let's not let them have cookies? I don't think so myself. I know plenty of kids, including mine, who ate cookies all their lives and don't have a weight problem.
It's not the cookies. It's not the sweets at the Bake Sales. Well, what is it then!!? Maybe it could be too many trips through the fast food lane? Or, Maybe it's as simple as science! Energy in...does not match energy out.
I know people try to break it down into groups of facts like:
You must eat
'the right foods'
'low fat foods'
'natural foods'
'no junk foods'
'healthy foods',
'etc.'
'more raw foods'
and yes, all those things play a part. But still - a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. If you eat 3500 calories more than you burn, you will gain a pound. You have to move people!
And, I will tell you true, you better start getting in the habit of moving before you get too old! That metabolism of ours -s-l-o-w-s- down, as we age!
But still, I like this idea from the article:
In Berkeley, birthplace of California cuisine, food served at school is free of bovine growth hormones, irradiation, hydrogenated oils and known genetic modification.
And the idea that the schools or the states or the federal government or whoever had it, about taking physical activity out of the school day? That was dumb. Just plain dumb.
So basically, if you give a mouse a cookie, he's got to move it, move it, he's got to move it, move it ...
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm not surprised that bake sales are against the law, but I'm surprised at the reason! I thought it was going to be a food safety issue - places that sell food have to be approved by a sanitation department, and I can see how they might feel that homebaked goods could be risky. And I can even see schools being concerned about allergies - there's concern about peanuts being in food and a child dying by buying and eating a cookie with no ingredient list.
But obesity is a strange reason!
Actually, there are rules about not allowing homemade goodies in classrooms for birthday parties or special treats. Everything brought in must be store bought and sealed, unless it is a fruit.
This I only know because of two of my nephews in two different schools here; I don't know if it's standard in all states or schools.
By yeah, legislation for weight problems? I'm not sure where this is going.
Post a Comment