Thursday, March 08, 2007

Kris Kristofferson - After all these years!

Last month I saw Kris Kristofferson in concert. I cannot believe the man is 70 years old!! He was great! And he sang for an hour and 50 minutes.

I attended the concert with my brother, who is nine years younger than I, and I'm not as old as Kris, and my dad, who is almost a generation older than Kris - and we all thought this concert was great!

The audience was loaded though with every fan in the city that could get a ticket, as Kris' concert sold out in one hour. It was the only Sold Out concert at the Lyric Theater in the 8 months I've lived in this town.

Kris came out with just a guitar. Just walked out on stage and said hello and started playing. His set list was great. He sang all the best ones that you could remember, and all the new ones, I totally enjoyed.

If one is to believe he is a songwriter who tells about himself than you know these things:

He realizes he is a lucky man.
He believes in God.
He loves his family and friends.
He appreciates everyone who ever gave him a break or covered one of his songs.
He owns up to his past mistakes.
He is saddened when he looks around and sees the state of the world.
He is not happy with this administration.
He is grateful for his fans.
He is still not sure why women might find him attractive. (And he still is!)

Although, he didn't talk a lot, you could feel his conversation with you in the songs he sang. His voice is raggedy, but it fits him so well. That's part of the draw. Probably a love him/or leave him kind of fella!

Kris got a standing ovation and was giving a signal to the audience that he would sing one more song by holding up one finger and smiling. He sang that song. Then the applause and he signaled, okay two more. He sang those songs. Then more applause, with people standing, and he signaled again, one more.

The hairs on my head were standing on end for a lot of the songs – but especially In The News. If you click on the song title, you can hear the song. There is a video to watch, and honestly, I think, regardless of your voter’s registration card, you will feel something deep in your soul when you listen and watch it.

To me, that song is saying, we are throwing away innocence in the name of God, and how sad that is. I’m not asking anyone to agree with me or disagree with me, or change your mind about things that you think – I just feel that the world is in a very sad state of affairs. It makes my heart heavy.

I’m so glad I had the opportunity to attend the concert. My brother had bought tickets for my mom and dad and himself, but when I moved here and found out about the concert, it was too late to get tickets, so my mom gave me hers. It's funny to see Kris up there after all these years of being a fan. I'd never seen him before.

At this point, Kris may not be someone's cup of tea because he's never been a singer, nor I think did he claim to be. So listening to him sing might not bring one solace or pleasure, for that you might have to be a fan. And for the life of me, I just can't figure out why I am!! But I am. And have been since I bought his first album Me and Bobby McGee back in the early seventies, and the song Why Me Lord? has always been one of my favorites. Matter of fact, that song kind of sums up some of what, I think, he was trying to say.

Maybe his age has caused him to touch more openly on his spiritual side? Maybe he's always been that way and that was the attraction for me.

In the end, to each his own. But I am glad that I attended the concert!


No comments: