I have decided to open the new year rereading Pride and Prejudice. It's been four, or perhaps more, years since I have read it. And, I think the last was an attempt; I may not have finished it, having too often watched the A & E production of it during the time my daughter was in her high school years. And then, when Mr B came to be noticing of it and liking it as well, we probably lived on it's viewing for awhile.
Recently as day before yesterday, I've tried to entice my sister to read along with me, but she has not yet accepted my suggestion, and I will ask one of my sister in laws if she would like to join us, but I realize assignments such as this appear all to tedious to those who work at full time jobs, have homes to keep, and younger children to run to and fro.
I am currently working part time, leaving me mornings and evenings for helping out with, visiting and generally cooing over my granddaughter. My youngest child is just shy of 20 and requires not much looking after, sadly for me. My husband is currently only employed part time, sadly also, as that makes things difficult for paying bills and buying things like food, but he helps around the house a lot, and this leaves me more time for reading novels.
And so I shall.
In Chapter Three, I find the first description of Elizabeth Bennet that I totally enjoy --
"...for she had a lively, playful disposition, which delighted in any thing ridiculous."
Delighting in things ridiculous, 'in my good opinion', is healthy sport. It is so much better than the opposite choice which is letting them anger you. One must never allow the careless remarks of someone we do not know to cut into our hearts or bother our countenance, or give allowance to a moment of lost sleep.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~~Albert Einstein
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment