Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Door in the Dark and Tuesday

The Door in the Dark
~~Robert Frost

In going from room to room in the dark,
I reached out blindly to save my face,
But neglected, however lightly, to lace
My fingers and close my arms in an arc.
A slim door got in past my guard,
And hit me a blow in the head so hard
I had my native simile jarred.
So, people and things don't pair any more
With what they used to pair with before.

I had not realized that Robert Frost had a sense of humor so similar to mine. And, I didn't realize, like myself, he walked around in the dark straight away into things that could cause bodily harm.

My thing was a wall. My husband had moved a dresser in from the wall
about 6 inches.
And in the dark, that changes everything.
The wall, because it was not where it was before,
but there, right there in front of my face
now was a place,
a place that I,
gave no thought to protecting with my fingers and my arc --
me as well, encountered, a blow so hard my head bounced, and
I saw the stars that I'd seen last week while outside walking.
Methinks there were no comments regarding a flattering look for the new day.
Just - smash- and there was a road less traveled that had been discovered.
So what's new?
Me and Robert Frost on less traveled roads or more?
Maybe he knows a good story about the

Loads less washed?

Two loads in two baskets merged, tan and yellow could
Time to go was now you see, and I could not wash them both
But being one laundress, long I stood,
And looked through the piles of one as far as I could
to where it bent in the undergrowth
(as someone was gardening before morning toast!)

Umm, then there, look the other, just as fair
It may have shown the better claim
Because those grassy stains -
umm, were they wash and wear?
The wearer had brung in some flowers,
now there placed in a vase
to see in their splendor beauty,
Hardly to be ignored
so they each deserved the same reward.

And both that time did equally have
consideration for mud and stains
which one would I choose this day?
But knowing how laundry does not go away
To not come back another day?

I shall be telling this with a sense
that laundry stays and cares not hence
Makes not a difference to diverge and I --
Put the loads together since
Together, in the long run, it makes no difference.

And I so, now, apologize to those for whom this makes no sense,
and whom my be, a greater fan of Robert Frost
than me.

No comments: