Sunday, October 21, 2007

All Out Of Love

...no, not me, Romeo.

Romeo, Romeo,
what was his whereart?
This he knew not.
He doth did love, but love for what?
He wearried foes and friends alike
with the fascinations
his love didth spike.

Everyone knows about Romeo. The Teenage Romeo in love with thirteen year old Juliet from William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet was "out" he said. And Benvolio asked, "of love?"

And which then, Madam Blueberry and I both sang the song by Air Supply, "I'm all out of love, I'm so lost without you, I know you were right, believing for so long...." and then we laughed.

Madam B is very irritated with Romeo's carrying ons. She feels he is so immature, and just in love with love, or what he even thinks love might be, and the physical aspects of love, and takes no time to get to know someone. I think she might want to smack him upside the head to prevent his troubles to come!

But, least anyway, I was just thinking that, yet, again, another Shakespearian phrase - Out of Love - made it to the airways with the song by Air Supply.

And then I realized Air Supply sang other songs using "love" and "out" -- "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" -- which, when I thought about it, that is what Romeo is doing. He's making love out of nothing at all! Well, maybe angst - Maybe he's making love out of the angst of not knowing what to do with himself.

Poor Romeo. Of course, it's too late to warn him.

"Why would Shakespeare write such a play?" I asked to no one in particular. This gives me pause. To think that I would, or even could, answer a question concerning why Shakespeare would do something. I am no scholar. I merely guess at the answers to mine own questions and musings. And we have only read to Act 2. There is much to understand here, no doubt.

But, if I had to make a quick stab at it, it would be to say that those young people who don't learn early to curb their implusive tendencies may quickly find themselves in a position to lose everything faster than they could breathe a heavy sigh or call for mommy.

Young people who come into families with much excess baggage and then didn't bother to exercise their own minds and thoughts and ideas about things, could swiftly find themselves drawing their sword against and possibly killing someone they are hardly accquainted with because ....because...he was unaware of his Observer. (Although, most young people these days don't carry swords, so it's probably not as much as a problem.)

And he
Was not thinking. Was not listening.
Poor Romeo. A slave to the emotion of wanting love, of wanting to be a man, and thinking his way of loving was the answer, just got all caught up in the moment! -- Thank you, William Shakespeare, for this Romeo who serves as a horrible warning of the question, Why did it all have to go and get so complicated?


More to come on Romeo and Juliet ~~

No comments: