Monday, September 03, 2007

My Pink Mandevilla




The are photographs of my front porch. The pink flowers on the edge of the porch are Mandevillas.

I noticed last week a real change in the plant, and so today I took a few leaves into the place where I bought them. Actually, they were a gift, but anyway -- I took the leaves in to ask what might be wrong with my Mandevillas, that I have grown to love so much.

I went over to the section of the store where the Mandevillas were and noticed that many of the ones there had leaves that looked the same as mine. A lady come around, and I showed her my leaves and she told me, "This looks like a mite has got them."

"But, they look the same as these right here." I said, and pointed to the ones for sale.

She started talking about mites and overwatering and pink mandevillas being more sensitive to things of nature as she lead me away from the flowers I was pointing to, and we ended in a section that sold fertilizer and treatment type things.

I listened to what she was saying and did buy a product that, she said, might save the Mandevilla, but I couldn't get out of my head that these people were selling flowers that might be diseased!

And she also told me that the leaves of the flowers needed to be discarded in an area away from other flowers as the other flowers, if sensitive to the same problem, could develop the disease, and I'm thinking, "Gee, you are not only selling flowers with disease, as your leaves look like my leaves, and you are leaving them right there together."

This was at Home Depot. This could be one of the reasons they are going out of business.

I am so sad about my Mandevillas. But doesn't that just represent life? It's here. And then, it's gone.

No comments: