Sunday, July 15, 2007

Compliant Complaint of Acceptance

If you don't like a thing, and you say you don't like it, but you accept it because you have too, does that make you a complainer? There was a discussion tonight about this topic, and I have to say, I'm not sure.

Complaining, according to most dictionaries, is explained as " To express feelings of pain, dissatisfaction, or resentment." One site even gave the example as "a complaining wife" ...really! that was so bold!

So, the definition implies that to even say you are not happy about something is complaining. What about the situation in which you have come to an acceptance about a thing? Does that still mean you have complained or are a complainer because you are in fact, accepting, and not liking? I see nothing wrong with acknowledging accepting something you don't like and going on with your life. If indeed, you have done the deed of the actual accepting and it's not a ruse of attract attention, in my opinion, you have done well.

Acceptance in itself does not require the act of approval. Nor does acceptance imply that something need to change, or can change, because perhaps it is so that it cannot change. So in the act of acceptance, does that not negate the complaint? Acceptance cannot be confused with resistance.

There are people, for example, that I do not like the boldness of their manner, or the rudeness in which they speak, but I've come to accept them for what they are, and truly find an understanding of their way, but if I should mention to someone, that I don't agree with this person's 'way of being' does that make me a complainer?

Scripture says we shouldn't complain. And I'm not saying I go around complaining, but I do have a few things in my life that I have accepted and just go on conducting myself in a manner that works to bring peace in our circle.

But I suppose the whole accusation of being called a complainer comes into play because if one actually express a thought that runs in a negative vane, than I guess, perhaps, that one has complained.

Oh, well, that's enough perplexing thought for me this early in the morning.

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is incomprehensible."
~~Albert Einstein

No comments: