The drought remains constant. We pray for rain everyday. We think, 'no really, it can't go on...and on.' And then more fires, more smoke, and no constant rain. There are places that have rain, that is bursts of rain that are loud and thunderous and then...gone. The grass is parched looking, the flowers are drooping and each of us finds a unique way to catch free water. From the overflow of the air conditioner, even though we've set the temperature up to save money, we placed a bucket under the overflow pipe to catch the water for the flowers. It's amazing how much water you can get for 'free.'
I think, does this unusual dry spell mean that the hurricanes will bare down hard on us this year? Does one nature catastrophe follow another? I know one thing for sure, and that is, I will be buying my hurricane supplies early. I will not be caught up in the midst of the chaos _that will_ happen when we are told the hurricane is making landfall by midnight. People here just floor me about that issue of not preparing. I know there are some things you might not be able to do until the last minute, but heavens, know where you live and take the time to prepare. (I'm not sure why I live in a hurricane zone, anyway. It just worked out that way. I was born here.)
Our gas prices are over $3.00 a gallon.
Bread is so expensive you feel guilty renting a movie.
Milk (which I don't drink) is $3.39 in my area.
Lettuce is $1.49 for a head of Green Lettuce. Spinach is $2.00 a bag for the store brand. Organic spinach is $2.00 a bag for half the amount (5 ounces).
I am enjoying my homegrown tomatoes, though! And I will have to pick them tonight as there is big wind coming right now.
I think I'll go outside and walk in the grass. I've read it's good for your health. I've been having this real problem with fatigue and nothing seems to be wrong medically so I'm changing my schedule all around to see if I can jump start my inner child.
Here comes the train. Think I'll run out and watch it go by.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment