Tuesday, May 15, 2007

That Smile of Yours goes deep

Today I had a procedure done that I didn't think one had unless one has sorely neglected their teeth. Which I had not.

I visited a dentist here, because we have moved here, and he informed me I needed a deep cleaning done on my bottom row of teeth. Call me an idiot, but I really thought the guy was just trying to make money!

I had, after all, been having my teeth cleaned twice a year for 30 years, okay, missed one last year because of the move, but still! I brush regularly, floss many times, use mouthwash now and then and am very concerned about not having bad breath! And now I find out that I need a deeper cleaning than the normal cleaning?

And, or course, the deeper cleaning is more expensive than the normal cleaning.

so, I asked a few questions and he told me an earful that all sounded like they answered themselves with 'you better do this' ....it's the whole prevention philosophy. And I am down with that. I don't want to deal with my teeth falling out and smelling badly.

So - the cost to me was $150.00 with my insurance. And should you need some antibiotic placed in any of the pockets that's a smooth $60.00 each pocket. I passed on the antibiotics but I'll be having a crown put in soon, so if I need it, they will catch it then.

The crown with my insurance will be $600 and something. I think $40.00, but can't remember right off. All paid up front.

They have a new medical credit card that they offer you now -- 11% interest. But when you think about it, it might be better to pay on time than to set yourself up for future health problems with your teeth if you don't have the bucks of dollars up front.

By 4:30 , I had it done. I had to have one more shot than the normal 2 on each side that they give you because, they said, apparently, the nerve on my left side is off somewhere it shouldn't be. But whether that statement makes sense to anyone, it does make sense to me.

So 5 shots - and a lot of sound being made - rinsing and you are done. You can't spit for 24 hours (so how do I brush my teeth? I don't know?)

Hopefully, I am on my way to better health. Because the gig is that if your body has to constantly deal with all that bacteria under your gums, I guess your lymph system could get taxed and tired and not fight other illness as well?

Funny thing is, a lot of people I have spoken to have not heard of this cleaning unless it's done to someone who has peridontal disease. That's why I think this is a preventive step and I like that.

No comments: