Thursday, March 30, 2006

Truth and Lies














Does anyone remember the Ann Landers column? I grew up reading her column.

I was continuing my packing and found this newspaper clipping I had saved from Tuesday, February 7, 1978. This is the poem I had cut out:

What Became of a Lie
~~M.A. Kidder

First somebody told it,
Then the room wouldn't hold it,
So the busy tongues rolled it
Till they got it outside;
Then the crowd came across it,
And never once lost it,
But tossed it and tossed it,
Till it grew long and wide.
This lie brought forth others,
Evil sisters and brothers,
and fathers and mothers,
A terrible crew,
As headlong they hurried,
The people they flurried
And troubled and worried,
As lies always do
So, evil-boded
This monstrous lie goaded,
Till at last it exploded,
In sin and shame
But from mud and from mire
The pieces flew higher,
Till they hit the sad liar,
And killed his good name.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Always tell the truth. That way, you don't have to remember what you said.
~~Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then there's this poem by Emily Dickenson that I just absolutely love. I've spent a lot of time thinking about it, as it is great for that. I could tell you what I think, but have some fun on your own, as it's one of those poems that is simple and short, yet deep, linear, circular, and dazzlingly blindingly openly bold! ~ and a riddle, of course, much like all of Emily's work.

Tell all the Truth but tell it slant-- 
Success in Circuit lies
Too bring for our infirm Delight
The Truth's superb surprise

As Lighting to the Children Eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind.

-Emily Dickinson, poet (1830-1886)


No comments: