Thursday, March 16, 2006

Preen and Idem

Go ahead. Use them in a sentence. I challenged Madam B today in scrabble, as I did not know these two words! The stinker! Triple word score on 'idem'. Oh well...I got 'whale' on a double word score. Shows you where my mind is.

Madam B has started Henry V. At first she was not that excited about it because it is not a comedy. She never starts her next Shakespeare reading right after finishing one, as she seems to need time to 'let go' of the last one. Does that make sense? It's like we have to talk about and talk about, and see if there's a movie, and kind of court it awhile before we can say good-by and move on. I say 'we' but I don't read along with her so much anymore, as I just can't keep up. And I haven't read Henry V, but I told her that I would read it with her, and she said, 'nah, that's okay,' because I know she wants to just enjoy it at her leisure. But I will be looking forward to the movie!

"Men of few words are the best men." King Henry V (Act 111 Scene 2)

Did you know that "what the dickens" was a quote coined by Shakespeare years before Charles Dickens was born?

From "The Merry Wives of Windsor" ... Mrs. Page says, "I cannot tell what the dickens his name is my husband had him of." (that is a very weird line.)

It sounds strange, but 'what the dickens' was a euphemism for calling on the Devil.


No comments: