Friday, March 17, 2006

In Her Shoes

What a sweet little movie.  I cried.  More than once.
Family can be a difficult thing. Family's aren't perfect.
Because people aren't perfect. We can struggle hard,
but we will never see perfect here on this earth,
in families or any where else.

I think it's about forgiveness. And acceptance,
and love conquers all.

That's what I saw in this movie. The worse things done,
turned out to be the best things done in some ways.
A hard reality.

The character of Maggie, played by Cameron Diaz,
couldn't read or do math well at all. She's been getting
by on her good looks pretty much. The power of
which runs out quickly when you can't add or read very well.

Was she dyslexic? Or learning disabled?
They never really tell us. But her reading greatly improves when
she begins to read poetry to someone who can't see
her pretty face but can recognize a gift of understanding.

Her sister Rose is smart and not as pretty, but loves Maggie
very much and has spent her life protecting her, yet, is so
very annoyed with her, but can't stop loving her.

So she forgives, and loves,
but in between she doesn't know how to cope until their
long lost grandmother and a bunch of old people come
into their lives.

Add to the top of that an evil stepmother, and a father
who lives in denial, and you have a family story that
made me cry.
I loved it.

Here are the two poems from the movie. They fit perfectly.

E.E. Cummings - I Carry Your Heart With Me

I carry your heart with me
(i carry it in my heart)
i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear no fate
(for you are my fate, my sweet)
i want no world
(for beautiful you are my world,
my true) and it's you are
whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun
will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret
nobody knows
(here is the root of the root
and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky
of the treee called life,
which grows
higher than the soul can hope
or mind can hide)

and this is the wonder
that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart
(carry it in my heart)

~~and I loved this next one ~~


One Art
by Elizabeth Bishop

The art of losing isn't hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something everyday. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour spent badly.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster;
places, and names and where you meant to travel.
None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones...And vaster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent,
I miss them. But it wasn't a disaster.

--Even losing you (a joking voice of gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident
the art of losing's not to hard to master
though it may look like (Write it) a disaster.

~~~~~~~~
For finding the poems, for feeling those feelings,
I'm glad I found the movie.

No comments: